I had heard of his name an year or two back in connection with this Bachpan Bachao Andolan as a pass-by reference. However, I didn’t have his name in memory until I heard today about the news and could recall.
Kailash Satyarthi- this name would have reached every household in India by now.
Many would be pondering who this man is? I am sure he would feature on most searched name for few days atleast.
Many more would be proud for being a fellow Indian for he has won a Nobel Prize, and wouldn’t even care to know to his achievements while they would be posting a status on Facebook for sure.
A few would be ashamed to have not known about him until today.
A few who knew about him would be proud to have known him.
Well keeping aside all these thoughts what we need to know at the first place isWhy did he get the Nobel Prize?
- 1.4 Crore children die before they reach the age of 5.
- 46% children are breast-fed for less than six months.
- 29% do not have access to iodized salt.
- Millions of children haven’t received proper immunization.
- 40% drop out from schools before they reach the eighth grade.
He worked for these kids.
- who polish shoes at the roadsides.
- who Sing Bollywood Songs to get some coins from us;
- who rush to bring us tea at tea-stalls on highways;
- who perform cruel acrobatic stunts in the open to attract our attention and gain our sympathy;
- who work as errand-boys for shops and trades; weave our carpets; stitch our clothes;
- who carry the dhobi’s laundry;
- trafficked for sexual gratification;
- sweep our floors and wipe our kitchen sinks; and too often die in horrendous road and rail accidents.
- To send all those kids from the roadside go to school,
- get to eat nourishing meals,
- Come out of poverty, exploitation,
- Get Proper Education.
- Live a life like all of us who have access to everything we wished for yet we are not happy about many things in life and complain.
Many of the NGOs must have been doing this today, what’s the big deal you might ask?
He started the movement from grassroots. He risked a lot with his daring stunts. He raided on factories which were guarded by armed men where they held kids and their families as bonded laborers.He rescued 80,000 children from the flagellum of child trafficking and not just that he provided them rehabilitation to the kids to grow up and secure a bright future through education programs.
More about him here. Kailash Satyarthi